Welcome!

INTRO POSTFAQ'sMY STORYPOST DIRECTORYTWITTERPINTERESTTUMBLR

Thursday 22 May 2014

John Lewis Birthday Composition


I have now completed my John Lewis composition which will soon be displayed in their Trafford Centre store, on the community art wall, to celebrate their 150th birthday year.

In February, Henshaws Society for Blind People was chosen by John Lewis to produce artwork to celebrate the 150th year of the retail store. I was kindly asked by Louisa Walmsley, of the fundraising team, to produce a piece on my own. Other pieces will be produced from the Arts & Crafts group and Parent & Toddler group in Manchester, Henshaws resource centre in Newcastle, and Arts & Crafts Centre in Knaresborough.

As John Lewis is a British institution, with their first store opening in Oxford Street, in London, I thought I would incorporate British iconography and celebrate Britain alongside John Lewis' birthday. I also portrayed the famous Trafford Centre dome, with it being a British landmark as well as the place where my composition will be displayed. As I primarily shop at John Lewis for gifts and toys, I wanted to include some of my favourite items from the online store - particularly a beautiful deluxe rocking horse.

The composition was created using coloured pencils, fineliner and metallic relief paints. It took over two and a half months to complete.

I'm incredibly grateful to Louisa for such an amazing opportunity, and I can't wait to see the full birthday display when it's unveiled in the Trafford Centre. I will be sure to post photos here when it's exhibited!