Welcome!

INTRO POSTFAQ'sMY STORYPOST DIRECTORYTWITTERPINTERESTTUMBLR

Sunday 6 July 2014

New Column in M44 News


Issue 25 of M44 News magazine is available this weekend!

My newest column is focused around my John Lewis composition, displayed at the Trafford Centre, to celebrate the 150th birthday of the retail store. My column details how I came up with the imagery to use in the art piece, as well as the mediums I used and how long it took for me to produce. You can read the article below:

Kimberley's View

John Lewis Birthday Composition

In February, Henshaws Society for Blind People was selected by John Lewis as the charity to produce artwork to celebrate the 150th year of the retail store, to be displayed on the community art wall at the Trafford Centre.

I was kindly asked to produce a composition of my own, being a keen artist and illustrator, with other pieces being produced by the Arts & Crafts group and Parent & Toddler group in Manchester, Henshaws resource centre in Newcastle, and Arts & Crafts centre in Knaresborough.

As John Lewis is a British institution - with their first store opening in Oxford Street, in London, in 1864 - I thought I would incorporate classic British iconography, such as a Beef Eater and the Imperial State Crown, to celebrate Britain alongside John Lewis' birthday. I also portrayed the famous Trafford Centre dome, with it being a British landmark - as well as the place where my composition will be displayed. As I primarily shop at John Lewis for gifts and toys, I wanted to include some of my favourite items from the online store; a beautiful deluxe rocking horse, in particular!

The composition was created using coloured pencils, fine liner, metallic relief paints and sequins and took over two and a half months to complete.

The birthday display will be up on the community art wall, in the John Lewis restaurant at the Trafford Centre, from June 1st until the end of July.

The July 2014 edition of M44 News is available now, being delivered to 10,000 doorsteps across the areas of Irlam, Cadishead, Glazebrook and Rixton over this coming weekend!