Welcome!

INTRO POSTFAQ'sMY STORYPOST DIRECTORYTWITTERPINTERESTTUMBLR

Thursday 13 November 2014

Scouts Magazine's Get Active! Cover


The cover of Scouts Magazine's 'Get Active' supplement has now been put together by the design team! The cover features illustrations I recently created for their Ability Issue focused around accessibility and inclusion among Scouts and Cubs in the UK.

Get Active! says: "This issue we're delighted to bring you a supplement dedicated to inclusion, echoing Scouting magazine's core theme. As always, we want to emphasise that scouting is a Movement that is inclusive and open to all, and here we provide you with some great ways of bringing the additional needs of others to the forefront of your programme.

From learning Braille to games to suit a range of abilities, this issue is a celebration of the wonderful variety you can find within Scouting today. And we simply couldn't be prouder. Enjoy the issue!"


The inside of the cover contains a section about my involvement with the project as well as a short bio and photo.


Kimberley Burrows is a blind illustrator from Salford, Manchester, and the winner of the RNIB's Young Illustrator of the Year. She can only work for 20 minutes at a time, but nevertheless continues to establish herself as one of the artists of the future. She says, 'I'm really grateful to be a part of this project… especially on the subject of inclusion - something I'm very passionate about.'


Here are my original drawings that were used for the Get Active! supplement; including the background and the illustrated elements featured around the collage. I wanted everything to be bright and colourful and to showcase as many different disabilities as possible. As always, I used my favourite mediums of black fine liner and coloured pencils and the project took most of the month of October to complete.



I want to say a big thank you to the magazine's Art Editor, James Daniel, for getting in touch and for inviting me to be part of this project. It is an honour to be included in the ability issue and I'm extremely happy with the final result!